Saturday, December 3, 2016

Living Risky

Wow. You're not going to believe this. I just did something really, really crazy. I'm still in shock.

Son Joshua texted that he needed a ride home from school, so I grabbed my keys and went to get him. As I was getting into the car, I came to the shocking realization that I had forgotten my phone.

My phone. My cell phone.

I looked back toward the house, and started to go back and get it when it happened: A strange feeling swept over me like a cold gust of wind on a blistery open sea, a feeling of total abandon. Suddenly I was the rebel, the non-conformist, the loose cannon. In an instant I became the wanderer craving wild adventure, the nomad in search of new lands, the pioneer facing the dusty trail to the uncertain west, the entrepreneur sweating and climbing to create his new industry, the bloodthirsty mercenary risking life and limb for the rebel cause. Yeah, I was that guy.

I lifted my head in defiance, grabbed the handle and yes... I got into the car without the phone. I fired up the engine, slid the shifter into gear, and drove away. What a feeling! I was disconnected... isolated... secluded. The solitary point of resistance against the forces of the world, facing the unknown with steel resolve... a fire in my heart... a silent voice that shouted, "I will survive!" to all creation. The sheer exhilaration was overwhelming!

And so I drove... the entire two and a half miles to the school... just man and machine against the elements. Unsure of how this might go or what outcome I may face, I pressed on until finally, at long last, I arrived to see Josh ready to board. Of course, at this point the adventure fizzled... he had his phone in hand so we once again were among the living, that safety net back in place, protected against all harm.

I know it was a terrible decision to make, a crazy thing to do, and I hope any young people who read this will see how foolish my decision was and not try to do this themselves. It's really not worth the risk. But I must admit, it was an experience I will never forget.

Whew. I am so exhausted from it all now. Must rest, and thank God for watching over me. Bless you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment